Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Product Review: ORS Smooth-n-Hold Pudding

Walgreen's
I purchased this product a couple of months ago, tried it, didn't love it and now I'm trying to use it up.  I love styling products with a cream-gel like texture for my twist-outs/braid outs/bantu knots. So, when I saw the description and looked at the texture, the PJ (product junkie) in me had to give it a try.  I was so thrilled that I forgot to look at the ingredients which is a huge "no-no" for me.  But, I blindly trusted ORS because I've used other products in the past.

Ingredients
Aqua (Water) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Polyquaternium-11 , Glycerin , Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Cetearyl Alcohol , Polysorbate-60 , PEG-150 Stearate , Cetyl Alcohol , Ceteareth-20 , PEG-20 Hydrogenated Lanolin , PEG-40 Stearate , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive) , Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Jojoba) , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil (Sweet Almond) , Phenyl Trimethicone , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Oleth-20 , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , d-Limonene , Eugenol , Geraniol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Lilial , Linalool , Methyl Ionone , CI 42090 (Blue #1) , CI 19140 (Yellow #5)

I was very disappointed to learn that mineral oil was the 2nd ingredient in this product. Mineral oil is only a big deal to me because I'm a sulfate-free/no-poo type of girl.  However, I refuse to waste my money and I made a promise to myself to use up everything I buy.  So, in order to remove excess build up, I've been incorporating some low sulfates into my regimen every time I use this product.

Overall, I will not repurchase.  I used this product on damp hair and the results were pretty good at first.  The texture is more of a cream than a gel which would lead to believe that it is ultra hydrating, but the hydration only lasts for a day or two.  After that, my hair feels dry and brittle.  It definitely has a light, non-sticky hold factor that is very good for 4th and 5th day hair, but by day 3 my hair is so thirsty, I have to wash it.  When I BC again, I will definitely be using their Lock and Twist Gel instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment